Fathima Matha Chruch About Chruch
About Fathima Matha Church
Fathima Matha Catholic Church Vellattanjur is situated about 25 K.M. away from Thrssur town. It is in the northern part of Thrssur district. The Parish is boundered by Kottakunnu, Mayiladumkunnu, Plattinkunnu, Kolanikunnu, Kanjiralkunnu, and the river Kechery. This church is the first church in India dedicated to our lady of Fathima.

The long awaited expectations of the faithful people of Vellattanjur, the first church was built in 1946 and in the same year 12th February Rt.Rev.Dr.George Alappat, Bishop of Thrissur blessed and named the church as the church of Our Lady of Fathima. During the year 1963, Rev.Fr.Joseph Thekkakara Asst. Vicar of Velur Parish took intial steps to convert this church into the Parish. After one year or in other words the need of the time, on 5th August 1964 Rt.Rev.Dr. George Alappat, Bishop of Thrissur constituted this church also as a parish merging the whole area of Vellattanjur, Puliyannur and western part of the Thayyur. After some years Puliyannur is attached to the Thandilam Parish.

On 10th September 1964, Rev.Fr.Antony Thekkiniyath took charge as the first vicar of this parish. The Present presbytery of this parish was built in 1968 by Rt.Fr.Chacko Parayil and it was blessed by Rt.Dr.George Alappat, Bishop of Thrissur.

This church was renovated in the period of 1977-1979 by Rev.Fr. Bernard Thattil was the Parish Priest. On 13th October 1979 Rt.Rev.Dr. Mar Joseph Kundukulam, Bishop of Thrissur, co secrated the church.

Church History
The long awaited expectations of the faithful people of Vellattanjur, the first church was built in 1946 and in the same year 12th February Rt.Rev.Dr.George Alappat, Bishop of Thrissur blessed and named the church as the church of Our Lady of Fathima. During the year 1963, Rev.Fr.Joseph Thekkakara Asst. Vicar of Velur Parish took initial steps to convert this church into the Parish. After one year or in other words the need of the time, on 5th August 1964 Rt.Rev.Dr. George Alappat, Bishop of Thrissur constituted this church also as a parish merging the whole area of Vellattanjur, Puliyannur and western part of the Thayyur. After some years Puliyannur is attached to the Thandilam Parish.
On 10th September 1964, Rev.Fr.Antony Thekkiniyath took charge as the first vicar of this parish. The Present presbytery of this parish was built in 1968 by Rt.Fr.Chacko Parayil and it was blessed by Rt.Dr.George Alappat, Bishop of Thrissur.

This church was renovated in the period of 1977-1979 by Rev.Fr. Bernard Thattil was the Parish Priest. On 13th October 1979 Rt.Rev.Dr. Mar Joseph Kundukulam, Bishop of Thrissur, cosecrated the church.

When Rev.Fr.Johnson Ainikkal was the Parish Priest, a Carmelite Convert established in 1982 which helps the Parish in its various pastoral activities, it was Fr. John Kuttikat donated the land for the Carmelite Convent who was the first priest from this parish and he was ordinated on 27th December 1937. The parish has two Chapels dedicated to St.Sebastian in the west and St.Francis Xavier in the south. The Parish owns a spacious parish hall built as the Diamond Jubilee Souvenir of the parish in 2006 by Rev.Fr. Jaison Marokey and blessed by Rt.Rev.Dr.Jacob Thoomkuzhy, Arch Bishop of Thrissur. The main feast of the parish is that of our Lady of Fathima and is solemnly celebrated on 13th October every year with help of voluntary sponsors. Now this Parish comprises 310 families with a population of 1400 faithfuls and being led by Rev.Fr.Anto Koola.
Hierarchy
Rome - Asia - Syro-Malabar Church - Archdiocese of Thrissur - Velur Forane - Our Lady Of Fathima Matha Church Vellattanjur
News & Events
  • Monday - Friday
    6.30 am Qurbana
  • Saturady
    6.30 am Qurbana,Novena and Ladeenju
  • Sunday
    6.15 am Qurbana
    9.15 am Catechism Qurbana
Catholic Links
site sponsor kcym vellattanjur
Copyright © 2013 Fathima Matha Church Designed by CreogeneX